Friday, October 29, 2010

Spider Oreos


Much to the delight of my four year old, I made these spider oreos for his preschool halloween party. They are surprisingly easy to make, and a big hit.
Here's how to do it...




To make them, you'll need oreos (or some other sandwich cookie) and material for arms and legs. Here is what I used:

- pretzel sticks (halved)
- cinnamon drop eyes (for the kiddos I used white chocolate chips)
- store bought frosting (Hey, I already had some in the fridge)
- Oreos
- food coloring

1. Twist off apart the oreos, scrape the creme into a medium bowl. Set the cookies aside. Mix frosting into the creme to bulk up the filling. **I made about 16 oreo spiders and added about 1/2 cup of frosting** In order to make the mixture easier to work with, toss it in the microwave for about 20 seconds. Stir in food coloring if desired. I made my spider creme orange.

2. Take bottom half of oreo. Pipe in about 2x-3x the usual amount of filling. You're building a bed thick enough to hold the "legs" in place. No piping bag? No sweat. You can put it in a ziplock baggie, nip the corner of the bag with scissors and squeeze gently. You'll get the job done.

3. Put on the legs. As any budding young entomologist will tell you, spiders have 8 legs. I used 1/2 pretzel sticks, but you could use any edible leg material like licorice.

4. Stick on the top cookie. Press gently but firmly. You might break one or two until you get the hang of it...I did!

5. Time for eyes! Use a dab of the creme filling to secure the eyes of your choice to the top of the cookie.

6. Enjoy! They are best enjoyed the same day.

No comments:

Post a Comment